Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Reasons to Run in the Rain

Since I first began my running "career" (i.e., started running to train for a race rather than just for fun), the greatest obstacle I faced was going out on those notorious Vancouver rainy days.  Hearing it pounding away on my rooftop automatically put me in the mindset that I wasn't going to run that day.  But after a gorgeous summer practically living at the seawall, I was so used to running almost every day that the idea of skipping a few days on account of perfectly harmless rain had me quite conflicted.

So one day, I put on the most water-resistant gear I owned, and just went for it.  The craziest part was that after the initial shock of running in a downpour, I really started to like it!  Rainy runs are definitely more exciting, challenging and fun.  And here are my top reasons to try it out for yourself:

1.) Once you get going, you stop minding the rain.

After adjusting and readjusting your outfit, turning up your music louder than usual, and getting thoroughly drenched to the bone, you realize that dodging puddles is no use and so you stop caring.  What helped me personally was wearing my old runners when embarking on rainy runs.  This is why it is important to never totally wear out your running shoes, so that you can wear them in terrible weather and not mind if they get muddy and totally soaked!

Photo cred: runranrun.com




2.) You officially look bad-ass.

By looking bad-ass, I mean you look hardcore.  By looking hardcore I mean you look like an elite, serious runner.  You'll notice as I have that on rainy runs, you will only run into other serious runners on your route. I also enjoyed the excuse to wear my metallic-purple Nike jacket, too.

3.) You will become a better runner.

Running in the rain poses some challenges--both mental and physical.  By overcoming that natural instinct telling you to stay in bed and out of the rain, you've officially lost one of the most common excuses to not go out running.  And after you've gone once, your subsequent rainy runs will just get easier and easier. You also improve your form because running in slippery conditions with limited visibility forces you to be mindful of each and every stride. You stay alert and concentrated rather than let your mind wander. After the rain has ceased, your next dry-run is sure to be better than your last. The next day after my first rainy run I felt like my body was lighter and that I was running faster and more efficiently.

If you are still feeling hesitant or uneasy about running in the rain, my last advice to offer is this:

4.) If you can't beat it, run in it.  

Rain persists throughout our Fall, Winter and Spring seasons and most people let it get them down emotionally and physically.  Unfortunately for us, human beings do not hibernate and we shouldn't pretend to. Instead, why not try to turn the tables on a conventionally unhappy rainy day and act like it is a good thing?  To run in the rain is to embrace it in every sense of the word, and you'll be happy and proud of yourself for the rest of the day for doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment